On Tuesday, May 1st, from 3:30pm through 7:30pm, participants of the May 1st March and Rally will gather at Judkins Park and march to 3rd Avenue & Marion Street. Portions of streets along the march route will be closed to traffic. A rally will be held at 3rd Ave & Marion at the end of the march.
For more information, visit: http://elcomitewa.wordpress.com/
Update @ 8 pm: Following Mayor McGinn’s emergency order, officers seized about 70 items which could be used as weapons during today’s demonstrations, including sharpened tape-wrapped wooden stakes; metal poles; screw-topped wooden staffs; a shield made from a plastic traffic barrier; and a corrugated metal portable barrier with sharp, jagged edges.
6:30 pm: Officers have made two more arrests–a 30-year-old man for pedestrian interference, and a 20-year-old man for vandalism–bringing the total to eight.
5:30 pm: So far, officers have made six arrests at demonstrations this evening.
The most recent arrests came just after 5pm, when officers took a 24-year-old man, a 30-year-old woman, and 28-year-old man into custody for felony assault at 1st Avenue and Pike Street just after 5 pm. Preliminary information indicates the 30-year-old punched an officer, the 28-year-old grabbed an officer, and the 24-year-old spit on an officer.
4:45 pm: One additonal arrest near 1st Avenue and Pike Street. More details to come.
3:30 pm: Officers have seized homemade incendiary devices and bags of feces in downtown Seattle and made several arrests, after a group of men and women dressed all in black–known as a “Black Bloc”–used sticks, smoke bombs and improvised incendiary devices, rocks, paint, hammers, and tire irons to damage vehicles and businesses Tuesday afternoon.
Members of the “Black Bloc” broke windows at the Federal courthouse at 3rd Avenue and Marion, Bank of America at 5th Avenue and Olve Way, Wells Fargo Bank at 4th Avenue and Seneca, and Homestreet Bank at 6th and University. Niketown, American Apparel and multiple cars at 6th and Pike Street and 5th Avenue and Seneca.
As of 3 pm, officers had arrested a 23-year-old man at 6th and Union for vamdalism, and a 19-year-old man at 4th Avenue and Pike Street for carrying a fixed-blade knife.
In light of today’s events, Mayor Mike McGinn has also issued an emergency order giving officers the authority to seize anything that could be used as a weapon during today’s demonstrations.
Live photos from May Day in Downtown Seattle on Seattle Rex: http://www.seattlerex.com/live-photos-may-day/
- May 1st Rally and March When: Thursday, May 1, 2014, 3 – 4:30pm Where: Judkins Park to Westlake Park The rally will leave Judkins Park—at...
- Anti-Tunnel March and Rally A march and rally for those against the tunnel, is scheduled for next Monday, August 1st from 4pm to 6pm....
- International Women’s Day March and Rally When: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 11am – 2pm Where: Pratt Park to Westlake Park ...
- Cannabis Freedom March/Rally When: Saturday, May 10, 2014, 11am – 8pm Where: Prospect and 10th Ave E to Westlake Park ...
- 34 Year Old Man Stabbed On November 22nd at approximately 9:25 p.m., West Precinct patrol officers responded to the 200 block of 2nd Avenue Extension...